Finished wrap dress – New Look 6674

Another finished item! This one is going up quite late, as I finished it back in August. I took the photos several weeks ago… I don’t even think it was fall yet! So there have been two rounds of procrastination on this one. It’s a little difficult to remember the sewing process at this point, so sorry for that. Anyway, back to the summertime… I started to have the hankering for a wrap dress and settled on New Look 6674.

I can’t remember why I chose this pattern. Looking at it now, it strikes me as plain. Then again, I have been trying to sew more wearable clothing – “cake”, if you will. And this dress is casual enough that I should get a lot of wear out of it. And when I wore it to my internship a while back, the other intern asked if we were supposed to dress up. Cake is a relative term, doncha know.
The fabric is a linen/rayon blend from Joann’s. I’m still digging usable fabric out of that place, but it sure isn’t easy. I really liked this print, though. It reminds me of ikat. I’d like to get my hands on some actual ikat. Anyone know a good place?

I’m a bad seamstress and didn’t make a muslin for this. I’m usually a bad seamstress, actually. Instead, I tried to adjust the pattern based on my measurements and reviews I read on the Pattern Review website, and then just cut right into my fabric. This resulted in some unfortunate fit problems which necessitated me taking apart the darts and side seams – which was a real bummer because I had already finished the seams with bias tape. BIG SIGH. Turns out wrap dresses can be tricky to fit? Maybe someday I’ll learn. Some others had complained about a gaping neckline on this pattern, which I think is a common wrap dress problem. I redrew the shape of the neckline curve, making it straighter, and I didn’t have issues after that. But I’m also in the A-cup club, which also might have helped.

The skirt has an A-line shape which works well for me, but it doesn’t have darts in the back and I probably could have used some. Oh well. I don’t think it’s a big issue.
Aside from not making a muslin, I took another big shortcut on this dress – one which actually worked out okay. I used Steam-a-Seam to hold down the bias tape which I used to finish the neckline, front opening, and sleeves. This stuff is totally cheating… I know! It’s like gluing your dress together instead of sewing it. But I just couldn’t bear the thought of catch stitching all that bias tape down, and I didn’t want a line of stitching all the way around. So far, the stuff has held up… well, with the exception of the sleeves. Those I did have to catch stitch in the end. Steam-a-Seam is no match for holding things down where multiple layers of fabric meet.
I didn’t bother with the bow/sash from the pattern, but instead used a vintage button from my stash. Nice match, eh?
Then, just to prove that this dress is a very functional garment, I put it through the “mobility test” ala Steph at 3HoursPast
Flying leap!

Less than graceful jumps!

Ah, whatever guys! It works! I’ve worn it to an interview (got the internship), out for drinks (got compliments), dancing (cuts a rug)… and I deem this one a success!

Advertisements

2 comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s